- Duration: 20 hours
How to Get a Florida Mortgage Loan Originator (MLO) License
Step 1: Obtain your Unique Identification Number with NMLS
Creating an account with NMLS (Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System) only takes a few minutes. After creating your account, NMLS will notify you by email with your Unique Identification Number. Click below to do this now. Please bring this number with you to class so we can provide you with completion credit.
Step 2: Complete the 20 Hour Florida SAFE Comprehensive Course
Pre-Licensure Education: Completion of 20 hours of NMLS approved pre-licensure education course, of which a minimum of 2 hours shall cover the provisions of Florida Law and Rules.
Step 3. Pass the SAFE Act Test
You are required to take and pass the SAFE Act National Test with Uniform State Test (UST). Our recommendation is to take the test within 10 after you’ve completed the 20 hour pre-licensing course. A score of 75% or better is required to pass the SAFE Act test.
- TEST ENROLLMENT: First you must create a TEST ENROLLMENT on the NMLS website. You will pay $110 (fee may vary) for the National Test with Uniform State Test (UST) upon the enrollment. Creating the enrollment is what will give you permission to schedule the test.
- SCHEDULE YOUR TESTS: **You must pay for the tests in the step above BEFORE you can schedule a test date.** The tests are given by Prometric Testing Centers, and they have centers located throughout the state of Florida and across the country.
Do you already have your MLO license in another state and just need to attend the 2 Hour Florida Specific Course?
View our 2 Hour Florida Specific Course schedule.
Step 4: Application
*Complete after you’ve attended the 20 Hour Florida SAFE Comprehensive Course and passed the National exam*
- SUBMIT THE MU4 APPLICATION: Loan Originator applicants must submit the “Uniform Individual Mortgage License/Registration & Consent Form,” also known as the MU4 APPLICATION on the NMLS website.
- FEES: You must pay a $195 (fee may vary) nonrefundable application fee, a $20 (fee may vary)nonrefundable Mortgage Guaranty Trust Fund fee and a $60 (fee may vary) NMLS processing fee when you apply.
- CREDIT REPORT: You are required to authorize a credit report with the submission of your MU4 Application. The cost of the credit report is $15 (fee may vary).
- FINGERPRINTS and CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: You are required to have your fingerprints scanned electronically at an NMLS-authorized fingerprint vendor for an FBI Criminal Background Check (CBC) with the submission of your MU4 Application. The cost of the CBC is approximately $36.25(fee may vary),
If you are obtaining your MLO License in Florida, you must also have your fingerprints scanned electronically at a Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) location. We recommend using PearsonVUE. The cost of the FDLE fingerprint is approximately $33 (fee may vary).
You may make an FDLE fingerprint reservation by calling PearsonVUE at 1.877.238.8232.
Step 5: View your Application Status
Criminal Background Check Status
During your license approval process, you can view the status of an existing Criminal Background Check (CBC) request or retrieve a copy of your CBC Certificate.
You may view the status of your MU4 Application and review any deficiencies that your state regulator has set. A deficiency is placed by the state regulator to notify you of any missing information that is still required in order to issue a licensing decision.
Each time the status is updated by the Regulator in NMLS, you will receive a system generated email indicating the status change.
- Exam Prep Course (Click Here)
“Did You Find What You Need?” For Additional Resources & Testing:
Disclaimer: Course requirements and pricing are subject to change. Students are advised to verify all necessary licensing and education requirements with the appropriate state department or licensing agency prior to purchase. All courses offered on this site are processed and administered through third-party companies. Cameron.Academy does not process payments nor issue refunds. Responsibilities of the user-selected third-party company (or companies) include publishing and updating content, payment processing and refunds, administering and/or hosting courses, monitoring, grading, reporting, issuing certification (paper and/or digital), and providing various products. All customer and/or technical support will be provided through the user-selected third-party. Therefore, Cameron.Academy does not assume any responsibility nor liability for issues that may arise as a result of purchasing these third-party courses and/or products.